Willenhall station opened in 1837 on the Grand Junction Railway's line from Warrington to Birmingham as
an intermediate station between their Wednesfield Heath station, loosely serving Wolverhampton, and Birmingham. However, unlike
the ill-sited Wednesfield Heath which lost its passenger services in 1873, Willenhall remained open until 1965 when
passenger services ceased on the line. In 2007 plans have been mooted to rebuild a station at the site if funding can
be secured. Above we see the station on 22/05/65 with Bilston Road ahead looking towards Darlaston (photo: D. Bathurst).
In the view above-left we are on Bilston Road bridge looking down at the station site in the direction of Wednesfield Heath nd
Wolverhampton. As can be seen, nothing appears to remain of the station viewed from Bilston Road bridge. Above-right we have
made our way down to the site of the Wolverhampton platform, to the right in the 1965 photograph, and can see remains of the long-demolished
station buildings: the line is to the left.
Above-left is the closest view you can get to the 1965 shot, looking to Bilston Road in the direction of
Darlaston. Above-right we have made our way back to the Bilston Road bridge and are watching the line head-off