A relatively late arriver in railway terms, The Lakes opened in 1935 on
the GWR North Warwickshire Line as 'The Lakes Halt' to serve the popular tourist destination
of the lakes around Earlswood. Things seem to have gone full-circle with this station as it
was opened as an unstaffed halt and has returned to that status today. Above we see the station
entrance off Malthouse Lane, September 2003.
Above-left we are on the Birmingham platform (platform 2) looking back
towards Wood Green Station through the Malthouse Lane road overbridge. Above-right we are
still on platform 2 but this time looking towards Birmingham. Note the rather large 'bus
shelters' - one wonders whether there has been a significant enough flow of passengers to
justify their size since installation.
Above-left we are on the end of the Birmingham platform looking through
the arches of the Malthouse Lane road overbridge in the direction of Wood End Station. Above-
right we are on the Malthouse Lane road overbridge looking down on the station in the
direction of Birmingham - it is maybe none to apparent in this photograph but the platforms
are strikingly short.