Hazelwell Station was built in 1903 and closed in 1941 for, as was the
case of the other stations on this line, 'wartime economy measures' and never reopened. Since
1941, the Camp Hill Line itself has been used for goods only trains - a function which it
still serves to this day. Above we see the Station in 1961 looking back towards Lifford. The
line was originally built by the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway but this station was opened
by the Midland Railway who had taken over the B & G. The photograph above shows a derelict Hazelwell
Station in 1961 looking towards Cartland Road overbridge(photo: M.Mensing).
The photograph above-left is taken in the present day from almost the same
position as the two boys 'trainspotting' in the picture at the top of this page: the platforms
long-since gone. Above-right, we are looking down to the trackbed from a higher position to
the left of the previous photograph's angle. Part of a platform can clearly be discerned
under the Cartland Road bridge but nothing else to signify the previous existence of a railway
station. It is also worth noting the footbridge over the railway with its lattice-work sides:
the footbridge is now closed to pedestrians.
Above-left we are looking from the same spot as the previous photograph but
this time across the railway cutting: the building across the lines used to be the station
house as evidenced if you examine the building in the upper-right of the photograph at the
top of this page: it is now a bathroom furniture showroom. Above-right is the overgrown path
leading to the 'down platform' of the station from Cartland Road which provided the vantage
point for the photographs above.