Camp Hill Goods was originally opened by the Birmingham and Gloucester
Railway in 1840 as a passenger station and the terminus for the line until an extension was
opened several months later to Curzon Street. The Station continued as a Goods only station
with the extensive opening of other passenger stations on the line, including Camp Hill &
Balsall Heath Station in 1867, and closed to all goods traffic in 1966. Above we see Camp Hill goods
station in the distance with its distinctive grain warehouse dominating the skyline (photo: DJ Norton).
Above;-left we see Camp Hill Goods Station site today off John Kempe Way, Highgate, August 2003.
Above-right we are looking back towards Camp Hill Station at the point where the lines serving the Goods Station
(to the right of this photograph) would have branched-off.
Above-left we are in the same spot but looking in the other direction with
the remaining goods-only double-track to our right. The 'road' on which the photographer is
standing forms the deliveries entrance to a DFS store which is occuppying part of the old
station site.Above-right, turning 90 degrees to the left from the previous photograph we can see
the only area of udeveloped land on the old station site and, interestingly, a pile of
concrete sleepers hiding behind some bushes giving an inidcation to the site's original use.
Above we see the rail overbridge on Kyrwicks Lane, with Oughton Road to the right,
which carries the Camp Hill Line. The wall on the left was a restraining wall with the old
Goods Station starting at its summit served by lines branching-off the Camp Hill Line just to
the left of this bridge.